I recently moved Shivaranjan.com to DreamHost that went on well. Let me share with you the steps that I followed to move Shivaranjan.com across the Web hosts.
1. Backup the Current WordPress Database: Back up your WordPress database. WordPress has provided wonderful tutorial on how to backup wordpress database.
2. Backup all the WordPress files from you blog’s root directory: Backup the entire contents of your blog and save it in your local hard drive using your favorite FTP program.
3. Change the name server settings in your domain control panel: Change the name server details of your domain in your domain control panel to point to the new web host. e.g ns1.dreamhost.com
4. Put up a maintenance notice in your blog: Put up a maintenance message in your blog. I did this by creating a index.html file that contained the message and put in my blog directory.
5. Uploading the entire contents of your blog to your new web host: Using a your favorite FTP program upload the entire contents of your blog to new host.
6. Create and Import your old database to your new web host: Once the DNS changes have been propagated you would be able to create a new database in your new web host. Now import the database that you backed up in step 1 into the new database. WordPress has given a tutorial on restoration of database from backup. Note DNS propagation takes around 12 hours to get reflected.
7. Change the wp-config.php file: Now edit the wp-config.php to input the new database host name, database name and database password.
That’s it you are done, now your site should be up and running. This what exactly I did to move two of my blogs from my previous web host to DreamHost and this worked flawlessly for me.
Note: This post is a part of tutorial group writing project organized by Monika.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found