Home > Computer Hardware, Tutorial > Top CD / DVD Burning Tips and Tricks to Avoid Coasters

Top CD / DVD Burning Tips and Tricks to Avoid Coasters

by Shivaranjan on July 8, 2008

ADVERTISEMENTS

cd1 Today CD / DVD burners are a standard component in every computer be it a Desktop or a Laptop. The CD / DVD media is the most affordable and most easily available backup options that we have today. But many times we end up creating discs that are either not readable, fail to read after a period of time and ofcourse the dreaded coaster. Well now you would be wondering what this term coaster is that I keep referring. ;)

What is a CD / DVD Coaster?

Well coaster can be defined as a unreadable disc, a badly burnt disc or a disc with lot of errors.

CD / DVD Burning Tips and Tricks to Avoid Coasters:

1. Check if your CD /DVD writer has the latest firmware: Always make sure that your CD/ DVD burner has got the latest firmware. The latest firmware offered by manufacturer of your drive would have support for latest blank CD / DVD medias and bug fixes if they were present in the earlier version of firmware.

2. Always use good quality media: Those nameless flashy cheap CD / DVD are no good. The quality of these cheap media is very poor so if you use those then you are risking your backup data. It is recommended that you buy branded media that can offer good results.

3. Take care of your Media: Buying good quality media alone is not sufficient, you must also take precautions that these media don’t get damaged. Keep the blank CD / DVD media away from sunlight and dust. Before you put the blank CD / DVD media into your burner make sure that they are clean.

4. Burn at lower speed: Burn at lower speed to get the best quality burning rather than burning at max speed or using overspeeding than the rated speed. I have noticed that the slower I burn the better quality of burns I get when compared to the max rates speed. I don’t mean that you have to burn you media at 1x speed, if you have 16x rated media try to burn at 12x which is quite optimal and you also don’t loose lot of precious time.

5. Defragment your hard drive: To get the best quality burns your CD / DVD writer needs to get data at the desired speed at required rate. To achieve this the hard disk drive would need to transfer the data at that rate hence it is advisable to have your data defragmented so that hard disk drive can transfer the data without any hiccups. Even if you set the max burning speed the burn rate will slower if the data is highly fragmented.

6. Close the programs that you do not use: The CD / DVD burning is more of hard drive taxing job rather than the CPU, close all those hard disk hogging programs that you don’t intend to use. To make the burning smoother the CD / DVD burning program uses quite some RAM if you are running low on RAM close all the unwanted programs that would free up more memory to the burning application.

7. Enable DMA for CD / DVD drives: The DMA mode allows the CPU to transfer huge chunks of data to the drive thereby reducing the CPU utilization. If this mode is enabled then high speed and high quality burning can be performed. You can read here further on how to enable DMA in Windows XP.

8. Make your CD /DVD drive as Master: If you are using IDE or PATA based CD / DVD burner then it is a wise decision to make that drive as master drive to get better performance.

9. Opt for SATA based DVD drive: Planning to buy a new drive? If yes then it is better that you a SATA interface based drives as it offers better performance over its PATA counter part.

8. Enable buffer under-run protection: Enable the buffer under-run-protection in your burning application before you burn your data.

What is buffer underrun?

A buffer underrun occurs during recording if the recorder runs out of data in the recording buffer. Once the laser is on, it cannot stop and resume flawlessly; thus the pause necessitated by the underrun can cause the data on the disc to become invalid. Since the buffer is generally being filled from a relatively slow source, such as a hard disk or another CD/DVD, a heavy CPU or memory load from other concurrent tasks can easily exhaust the capacity of a small buffer. Therefore, buffer underrun protection was implemented by various individual CD/DVD writer vendors. With this technique, the laser is indeed able to stop writing for any amount of time and resume when the buffer is full again. The gap between successive writes is extremely small.

Modern burners and burning applications by default enable the buffer underrun protection but it is always better to double check it before you start your backup or burning project.

9. Use Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables: If you are using a PATA or IDE CD / DVD drive use the 80 pin ultra DMA IDE/ATA cable over the 40 pin cable as it offers better performance.

80_40

Image courtesy: Seagate

If you got any more tips then do let us know we will update those here.

• No related posts found

wakelet.com December 8, 2018 at 6:29 am

After I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked on the
-Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time
a comment is added I get four emails with the exact
same comment. Is there a means you can remove me from that service?
Thanks!

charities make money December 16, 2018 at 9:55 am

Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last few posts have been kinda boring…
I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track!
come on!

vpn speed December 16, 2018 at 11:57 pm

It may possibly monitor your steps, distance walked,
steps climbed, energy burned, heart fee, sleep length aand high quality and blood oxygen stage.

ochrona mienia i informacji dwumiesięcznik December 26, 2018 at 5:32 am

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and
in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I
achievement you access consistently quickly.

wolseley bridges garden centre December 26, 2018 at 9:55 am

The Fort Value Japanese Garden was accomplished in 1973.

Laverne December 27, 2018 at 5:11 pm

In case you are a Extremely Delicate Individual (or HSP),
you will have faced a wide range off steuggles with work.

دندانپزشک زیبایی December 27, 2018 at 9:50 pm

In train we bear in mind to build our muscles and our coronary heart muscle, yet all too often, we forget
about stretching.

mbitcasino bitcoin December 31, 2018 at 4:16 am

It’s actually very complex in this full off activity life tto listen news on Television, thus I
simply use internet for that reason, aand take the hottest information.

dejting January 2, 2019 at 10:06 am

This low calorie, comfortable foods eating regimen plan is focused on serving to its
clients overhaul their lives, not accomplish quick weight reduction.

лучшее казино January 2, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Я добавлю данный сайтик в закладки !!!

steroids in milk canada January 5, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Acquire Steroids Canada

The Most Effective Canadian Made Anabolic Steroids Offer For Sale
Low Rates Fantastic High Quality Fastest Shipping
Steroids Canada Has 100% Delivery Success Price In Canada
Only.
We Have Hundreds Of Active Consumers From Across
Canada.
We Provide The Finest Canadian Made Anabolic Steroids.

Fast Canadian Residential Shipping Implies No Custom-mades
CANADIAN DOMESTIC STEROIDS
GET STEROIDS CANADA CANADIAN STEROIDS Offer For Sale REAL STEROIDS DELIVERED FAST WE HAVE THE BEST ITEM HIGH
QUALITY UNMATCHED COSTS HIGH QUALITY STEROIDS
CANADA HAS THE A LOT OF POWERFUL ANABOLIC STEROIDS
IN CANADA ORDER STEROIDS WITH STEROIDS CANADA THE BEST STEROIDS IN CANADA.

Canadian Residential Steroids

CANADIAN DOMESTIC STEROIDS

Sepak Bola January 29, 2019 at 9:32 pm

Superb blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a
little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free
platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..
Any ideas? Thank you!

https://aothunnhattam.com/in-chu-len-ao-tai-quan-tan-binh/ February 27, 2019 at 9:04 am

We’re a bunch of volunteers and starting a brand neᴡ
scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with helpful info to work on. You have done ɑ formidable job and our entire group might be grateful to
you.

roulette online android March 4, 2019 at 4:38 pm

This pays 17 to 1 and it is a wager on 2 numbers.
Inside bets: Some of the risky bets is a straight up wager on a single quantity this pays 35 to1.
Let me present you what I did search for
so as to put this one single rose. There’s two sorts of Roulette wheels; American, with 38
numbers and double zeros and European, with 37 designated slots along with a single zero.
As a young analyst at Sonnenblick Goldman, a then-distinguished
actual property funding financial institution, Gordon was junior on two deals.
Back in town, Tribeca Associates is about to open the 30-story, 298-key Moxy Downtown, a mid-priced resort/clubhouse
for millennials in Lower Manhattan, an space of town that Gordon insists remains to be under-hoteled.

All I have to do is assume again to my childhood and making an attempt to
select a movie at Blockbuster with my sisters. A few of the opposite fascinated parties had been apprehensive, ‘could we get the penthouse back?
] however Park Place was a avenue that most individuals had by no means heard of.
Necco wafer constructing, in Cambridge, Mass., and the Penncom Plaza workplace constructing
at 132 West 31st Street.

agen bokep online March 9, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Pada situs yang sudah kami berikan tersebut, anda bisa mendownload semua film barat terbaik dengan sangat mudah.
Belakangan, dia belajar dari ABG cantik tetangganya, Plerd, bahwa memberikan nomor telepon merupakan cara yang mudah dan efektif
untuk mengawali sebuah hubungan. Update Bokep JAV Perjaka pertama kali ML dengan cewek cantik yang
bisa Anda nikmati gratis disini. Jangan lupa juga untuk bookmark alamat situs ini agar Anda bisa mendapatkan update video seks setiap harinya.

Asikqq March 12, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Hello, I would like to subscribe for this webpage to obtain most recent updates,
therefore where can i do it please help.

Teksty na bloga March 14, 2019 at 12:32 am

You need to do different things on a regular basis to ensure that interrested individuals will flock your website.

Even affiliates caan make a bundle of money usjng videos to trade the items they may be promoting.
It iis almost as if your world of business has forgotten that Google exists.

Gregorio April 8, 2019 at 2:24 am

Filter by printed shirts for patterned styles.

คอลลาเจนราคาส่ง April 13, 2019 at 9:53 am

Hello to all, the contents present at this site are genuinely awesome for people experience, well, keep up the good
work fellows.

Francine April 19, 2019 at 5:17 am

India Patriotic T-Shirts : Risee up on your nation.

game online April 23, 2019 at 4:58 am

Hi friends, how is the whole thing, and what you desire to say on the topic of this article,
in my view its truly remarkable in favor of me.

cheap authentic jerseys April 27, 2019 at 3:29 pm

It’s amazing to visit this website and reading the views of all friends regarding this article,
while I am also keen of getting know-how.cheap authentic jerseyshttp://cloud-guitar-forum.5837.x6.nabble.com/matchup-likes-and-dislikes-td4970765.htmlhttp://chinafac.mee.nu/?entry=2819369

Select Essence Keto Pills May 9, 2019 at 5:09 pm

I do not even know how I stopped up here, but I thought this submit was once good.
I don’t recognize who you might be but definitely you are
going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already.
Cheers!

anastasiadate sex May 28, 2019 at 3:17 pm

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague
who had been doing a little research on this.
And he actually bought me breakfast simply because I found it for him…
lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx
for spending time to discuss this issue here on your blog.

waschmaschine Breite June 7, 2019 at 11:31 pm

Wollte Dir einfach mal in diesem Gaestebuch einen Gruss hinterlassen. :)

insta sifresiz begeni June 10, 2019 at 7:14 pm

I am never at home on Sundays.

lavishtantriclondon.co.uk June 22, 2019 at 2:24 am

There is certainly a lot to find out about this issue.
I like all the points you have made.

tatlı ankara June 30, 2019 at 11:15 pm

If you are going for finest contents like I do, simply goo to see this wweb site every dday
sihce it offers quality contents, thanks

Rupiahqq July 22, 2019 at 2:18 pm

This is a cool article and i’m glad reading your article. I’m very interesting to read your another post, keep cool!

rückfahrkamera mercedes nachrüsten July 23, 2019 at 4:13 pm

Ich bin gerade zufaellig auf Ihrer Page gelandet (war
auf der Suche nach einer anderen Homepage).

Ich moechte diese websiete nicht verlassen, ohne Dir ein Lob zu dieser gut strukturierten und schick designten Page zu hinterlassen!