Home > Windows 7 > How to Install Windows 7 in Windows Vista or Windows XP using Virtual PC 2007

How to Install Windows 7 in Windows Vista or Windows XP using Virtual PC 2007

by Shivaranjan on May 14, 2009

If you want to try Windows 7 you can directly install it on your hard drive along with your existing Windows operating system but if you don’t want to disturb your hard disk partitions then you can install Windows 7 under Windows Vista or Windows XP using Virtual PC 2007. In this post we shall discuss the various steps that are involved in installing Windows 7 in Virtual PC 2007.

How to Install Windows 7 in Windows Vista or Windows XP using Virtual PC 2007

First you need to get Virtual PC 2007 from here. Now install the Virtual PC 2007 in your computer, once the installation is complete the launch the Virtual PC 2007. To install Windows 7 we first need to create a virtual machine in Virtual PC 2007, start creating the new virtual machine using the ‘New’ option.

In the screen that is displayed select the ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ option.

Provide a name for your Virtual machine in this example we have give a name called ‘ Windows 7 RC1 Testing’

Select the Operating system as ‘Other’ as in Virtual PC 2007 Windows 7 is not listed.

We have to now allocate the amount of RAM that the virtual machine will use using the ‘Adjusting the RAM’ option.  It is recommended that you select this value as 1GB because as per Windows 7 system requirements a minimum of 1GB of RAM or memory is required. In this case we have selected 1690MB of RAM.

The virtual machine needs a virtual hard disk where the operating system will be installed. The virtual hard disk will be created as .vhd file in your current hard disk, make sure that the hard disk or partition where the .vhd file will be created uses NTFS file system. Create a new virtual hard disk by using the ‘A new virtual hard disk’ option.

Provide virtual hard disk size here, please note Windows 7 requires a minimum of 16GB of hard disk space, in this example we have chosen 30GB for Windows 7. Make sure you create the virtual hard disk in partition where you have the free space necessary for the virtual hard disk.

Choose the finish option here to complete the new virtual machine creation.

Now that the virtual machine is created, now you have to start the machine by selecting it and using the start option in the Virtual PC 2007.

To install Windows 7 we need to boot from the Windows 7 RC iso file. Select the ‘Capture ISO image” option from the ‘CD’ drop down of the virtual machine’s window. Now locate the Windows 7 RC ISO file and load it.

Restart the virtual machine now by accessing the ‘Reset’ option from ‘Action’ menu of the virtual machine.

Now the virtual machine will restart and boot from the ISO image of Windows 7, now follow the onscreen instructions to install Windows 7.

For detailed step by step guide to install Windows 7 please refer to this post.

After the Windows 7 is installed to get higher resolution of the screen and for mouse integration you have to install Virtual Machine additions in Windows 7. To do this access the Virtual Machine additions from Action>>Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions.

Now virtual CD will be mounted in Windows 7 and auto play will prompt you the contents of the CD. Select the Run Setup.exe to start the installation of the CD, approve the Windows 7 UAC prompt. Alternatively you can install the Virtual Machine additions by accessing the virtual cd drive and run the setup.exe as administrator.

After the installation is complete, restart the Windows 7 and you will be able to use mouse integration between Host operating system and the Guest operating system (Windows 7). Higher screen resolutions will also be available for use hence it is highly recommend that you install the Virtual Machine additions or update.

That’s it now enjoy Windows 7 under Windows XP or Windows Vista, incase of questions please post in comments section.

how to remove tree stumps yourself April 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

Very good facts Kudos!

list of foods for the paleo diet April 12, 2014 at 7:50 am

There are lots of kinds of paleo eating plans however the amazing truth is that all usually are
a single more than one more so this means in the event that an example may be excellent then other is significantly good as well
as same. Paleo weight loss plans tend to be very much good and then you
will discover any diet as well as immediately after eating you’ll discover one’s body can
become improved and you’ll become a lot productive and solid that will
not any do the job is not going to challenge people that
you not necessarily do that perform.
list of foods for the paleo diet

united states Chanel bag April 12, 2014 at 4:19 pm

chanel Handbags online
Heya i am for the first time here. I came across
this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

facebook id password hack April 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Back again when i 1st aerived to China, Fb nevertheless hadn’t been blocked, and i have observed the downward slide due to the fact then.
Which is going to pop up a box and give you the choice of thping
a thing commbined with the video clip you’re going
to pput up. Yet another prevalent characteristic of Fb is Groups, but bear in views, Groups are not basic general public created content and thus, usually are not outlined from the engines like google.

Indonesia chanel Bags April 13, 2014 at 1:44 pm

India chanel Handbags
Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The
text in your content seem to be running off the screen in
Safari. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet
browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.

chanel duffle bag April 13, 2014 at 4:47 pm

China chanel Bags
Hi there, I discovered your website by means of Google at the same time as looking
for a related matter, your website got here up, it appears
great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, simply become aware of your weblog thru Google, and found that
it’s truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels.

I’ll appreciate if you happen to continue this in future.
Lots of people can be benefited from your writing.

how to start a travel blog April 15, 2014 at 11:53 pm

When you finally set up a potent connection along with your
readers, they’re going to end up loyal and will even invite other
like-minded people for your website. First thing you have to keep in mind
is that most blogs on the Web have a community feel to them.
Nothing dampens the spirit faster than having to force yourself to write blog posts about something that you struggle to
come up with ideas for or that you are bored with.

replica chanel luggage April 17, 2014 at 3:55 pm

outlet chanel
Greetings from Florida! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your
website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info
you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone ..

I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, superb blog!

number one pimples treatment May 14, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Acne Vulgaris occurs if there is too much androgen formation.
abudant androgen leads to hyperdrive of the sebaceous glands.
This can also happen because of outer beauty things
being used. Exposing of the body to dangerous toxins can also lead to Acne Vulgaris.
It might be controlled by watching your eating and body.
For eating, you need to try to eat less glycemic stuffs.
Also lots of roots and vegetables will help removal of Acne Vulgaris by check the toxin balance into the body.
Wash the outbrusts with mild skin wash and medium water if you come from
outside or have exercise or have intense oiling on your body.
Till possible try to avoid treatments as most of the modern treatments are supposed to cause
side effects.

logbook loan May 14, 2014 at 8:41 pm

You should read secured loan against car their policies and guidelines.
How do you tackle such urgencies which involve long and tiring procedures?

www.google.com July 4, 2014 at 6:48 am

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This type
of clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve
incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

Virtual Business Address San Francisco July 4, 2014 at 7:23 am

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you
wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive
the message home a bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog.

An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

Morgan July 22, 2014 at 12:10 am

Good answers in return of this difficulty with solid arguments and telling all regarding that.

gry o pieniądze online July 22, 2014 at 12:58 am

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here
by searching for traktować

www.sturdycommunities.com July 22, 2014 at 4:36 am

Bycie może do przejdź do tego edukacyjnych zostały cudowne, i pomógł jej Link z bliskimi przyjaciółmi,
że nadal ma dziś Filipińczycy całym będzie cały świat posiadają jeszcze z powód do
oglądać Oscarów niż typowy powodu z przeglądających ulubiona ich Gwiazdy w całej ich glammed się sławie (
nie bardzo do wzmianka to ? rok kalendarzowy h gospodarze, James Franco i Anne
Hathaway, coraz jeden z najbardziej atrakcyjny i młodzieńczy posiada widziałem w lat )

Virtual Mailing Address San Francisco October 14, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any internet
browser compatibility problems? A few of my blog visitors have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.

Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

Karin January 29, 2015 at 10:40 am

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both educative and
amusing, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the
head. The issue is an issue that too few men and women are speaking intelligently
about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this during my search for something regarding this.

website [Karin]

search engine optimisation May 8, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >How to Install Windows 7 in Windows Vista or Windows XP
using Virtual PC 2007 <Liked it!

tyskland tröja July 4, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Avfallsmaterial kan klassificeras i någon av följande typer. En bedömning av risk på arbetsplatsen är nödvändig för att bedöma de potentiella risker som de anställda löper.
tyskland tröja http://www.thegivershirt.com/online/tyskland-troja-barn-2016-ozil-8-matchtroja-hemma-kortarmad-1

CristenCDerk August 11, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I am actually glad to read this webpage posts which consists of
plenty of helpful facts, thanks for providing
these sorts of information.