Many of you might be using Google Chrome web browser in Windows which is a pretty good web browser. Google Chrome by default is not yet available for Linux from Google but there is an open source project called Chromium using which you can install it in Linux. In this post we shall discuss how to install Chromium (Google Chrome) browser in Ubuntu Linux.
How to Install Chromium (Google Chrome) Web Browser in Ubuntu Linux
Note: The Chromium project is still in Alpha stage and hence if you install it in a prodcution system there may be crashes or errors. Use it at your own risk.
1. We need to add the Chromium browser repositories before we can install the browser. Add the below repositories of Chromium browser based on your Ubuntu distribution, in this case we have selected the repository for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope. If you want the repository for other versions of Ubuntu then get it from here.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
Go to System>>Administration>>Software Sources
Now select the ‘Third-Party Software’ tab and use the add button for adding the repository.
Now copy and paste the first repository line in the “APT Line’ and then click ‘Add Source’.
2. Repeat this process for the both the entries and both these entries should be visible now.
3. Now Ubuntu will prompt you to reload the software sources but it is recommended that you cancel the prompt as we have to add the OpenPGP key. This application is signed using the key ’0xfbef0d696de1c72ba5a835fe5a9bf3bb4e5e17b5′, this can be found out from Chromium project’s Launchpad page. Now use the following command in the terminal.
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0xfbef0d696de1c72ba5a835fe5a9bf3bb4e5e17b5
This should now add the key and we can use apt-get to download and install Chrome browser.
4. Update the Ubuntu repositories using the following command:
sudo apt-get update
5. Now let us install the Chromium browser using the following command:
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
6. After the installation is complete you can find the Chromium (Google Chrome) browser from Applications>>Internet>>Chromium Web Browser
7. Now start using and enjoy the Chromium browser.
In case of questions post in comments section.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- Google Chrome: How to sync bookmarks, apps, extensions, preferences, passwords, browsing history and etc
- Google Chrome: How to Share Google+ Plus Posts / Status in Facebook and Twitter
- Google Chrome Extension: Adblock Plus– Block / Disable Advertisements (Ads) on Webpages
- Google Chrome Extension: Text Only– Open / View webpages or links in text only mode
- How to Prevent Ubuntu Linux from Resetting or Changing Computer’s BIOS or Hardware Clock