Home > Windows 7 > Windows 7: How to Erase a Rewritable CD / DVD Disc

Windows 7: How to Erase a Rewritable CD / DVD Disc

by Shivaranjan on June 6, 2009

Rewritable CD and DVD discs are used by us on day to day basis for various needs. To reuse a rewritable CD or DVD we would have to erase the disc prior to use if the previous session was closed, most of use the third party utility softwares to erase the CD or DVD. In this post we shall discuss how this can be done in Windows 7 without the need for any third party software.

How to Erase a Rewritable CD / DVD Disc in Windows 7

1. Open My Computer and choose the CD/DVD burner in which you have loaded the rewritable CD/DVD. Now right click and that drive and select the ‘Erase this disc’ this option.

Additional Windows 7 Tip: Windows 7: How to Burn an ISO Image File using Native Support

2. Now the this Windows 7 will ask for your confirmation to erase the rewritable disc and start the disc erasing process

The rewritable CD/DVD disc will be erased in a couple of minutes. That’s it now reuse the rewritable disc for your data needs.

steven cheek September 4, 2012 at 6:10 am

my toshiba is 8 mos old (4 mos in pawn) with windows 7 home premium. I came here to find out how to “ERASE A CD-R” AND there is no possible way to do this onmy computer. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE THE PROBLEM???

Unknown December 25, 2012 at 10:14 pm

When I right click ,(the first step) it doesn’t say “erase this disc”. What should I do?

www.planetdan.net May 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

I got onto shivaranjan.com from http://www.
shivaranjan.com/2009/06/06/windows-7-how-to-erase-a-rewritable-cd-dvd-disc/ and I gotta state, you have a sleek blog layout.
How long have you been running this blog? The way you do all of this makes it look like a piece of cake.
Your blog is gorgeous, and also boasts loads of high quality

Pam Wilder August 18, 2014 at 12:42 am

When I right click on CD DVD disc my only options are Format, Eject, Close Session, Copy. Erase this disc is not listed.

domain September 14, 2014 at 6:43 am

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your site?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for
only having 1 or 2 images. Maybe you could space it
out better?

mh66 nixxells en March 20, 2015 at 9:43 am

Hi mates, how is everything, and what you want to say regarding this post, in my view its actually remarkable in favor of me.

ксб 55 June 16, 2015 at 9:17 pm

of course like your web-site however you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts.
A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very
bothersome to inform the truth on the other hand I will definitely come back again.

Longchamp Pliage March 14, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Longchamp Pliage http://fair-huidverzorging.nl/impressie/, boutique longchamp st martin, boutique longchamp st maarten

www.ted.com March 15, 2016 at 12:27 pm

LeBlanc, a passionate computer game follower, posted videos of his exploits
on the video game Minecraft, with some video clips acquiring as
lots of as 100,000 sights.

https://www.pinterest.com/ March 15, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Recently, three of the 10 most-viewed stations on YouTube were dedicated
to unboxing.

cable internet providers March 16, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Meal has gained from the popularity of solutions
like Netflix, Hulu as well as Spotify, which are easy to join as well as easy to

cable internet providers in my area March 17, 2016 at 12:13 am

Internet is terrific, I merely finished with composing my return to many thanks to Now I am on the excellent course to locate one.

cable internet service providers nashville tn March 17, 2016 at 12:56 am

Franchise business Cost @ 5 % – puts on all the parts of the cable television solution,
including the wire solution itself, the set top box, as well as associated charges, such as the
Broadcast Charge and also the Sports Cost.

Theo March 17, 2016 at 1:45 am

The Boxee TELEVISION itself will certainly set
you back $99 (down from $180 for the old model) as well as the No Boundaries
DVR service will set you back $14.99 per month for gain access to.

Latashia March 17, 2016 at 3:47 am

As an example, your HDTV with Net Apps bought from Amazon.com will come pre-loaded with
Amazon.com Video as needed, Flickr, Netflix, Rhapsody, Twitter, VUDU and also Yahoo TELEVISION Widgets,
ready to launch onscreen by touching a button on the

Randy March 25, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Hunter believes the reason that her unboxing videos are so prominent is that they
feature both her and her daughter discussing a spirit of curiosity and

Fausto March 26, 2016 at 3:24 am

In this sense, unboxing videos can aid marketing professionals develop expectancy while offering beneficial product information during
the holiday season (and even past).