The Windows 8 developer preview that was recently made available comes with Metro Start Screen which is quite good but it is really not comfortable to be used on desktop with mouse. The Metro UI is most suitable for touch enabled computers and tablets but not for regular desktops.
The Classic Start Menu and Metro Start Screen can be toggled using a simple app that has been made available now. To switch between the Classic Start Menu and Metro Start Screen all you need to do is a simple registry change, but this can be done by the app called Windows 8 Start Menu Toggle.
Download the app and run it as administrator if you UAC enabled and click on the use Classic Start Menu button to switch to Classic desktop.
If you plan to use the ‘Metro Start Screen then use the ‘Metro start screen’ option.
The classic start menu looks exactly like the one on Windows 7. The ribbon UI, task manager etc get disabled once you switch to Classic start menu.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- Windows 8: Manage the Number of Items in the Jump List
- Microsoft Windows 7 Features
- Windows 8: How to create a Windows 8 bootable install USB
- Greenshot- The Lightweight Screenshot Taking Utility
- Split a Folder into Multiple Small Folders by Number of Files, Folder Size and Folder Name using Folder Axe